Graduate Fellowships (Institutional)
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Chicago
- Columbia University
- Harvard University
- Indiana University
- University of Maryland
- University of Michigan
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Utah
- University of Washington
- Princeton University
- State University of New York at Binghamton
Dissertation Writing Grants
- Gail Arch (Ohio State University): Industrial Relations Practices in Advanced Technology Firms in Turkey.
- Melissa Jefkin (Rice University): Folk Dance to Define Notions of Social Identity in Turkey.
- Dilek Cindoglu (State University of New York at Buffalo): Study on Representation of Turkish Women in Cinema.
- Jane Hathaway (Princeton University): The Ottoman Empire's control of Egypt, 1650-1750.
- Lynne Lohfeld (University of Connecticut): Parents' Response to Respiratory Infections in Children under 5 years old in a Gecekondu.
- Iffet Orbay (Massachusetts Institute of Technology): İstanbul and the Classical Urban Aesthetics.
- Gul Ozyegin (Temple University): Relation between Gender Relations and Employment in the Informal Sector: Domestic Workers.
- Frederick Stubbs (Wesleyan): Taksim: Improvisation in Turkish Classical Music.
Grants for Post-Doctoral Summer Travel/Research in Turkey
- Carter V. Findley, Study on the 18th Century Ottoman Bureaucratic Intelligentsia.
- Clement M. Henry, Research on the Banking Systems of Mediterranean Islam's Debtor States.
- Robert Labaree/Feridun Ozgoren, Research, Design and Build Ceng (Ottoman harp) Models.
- Christine Ogan, Cross-cultural Study of Viewer Selection of Media Content.
- David C. Montgomery, Study of Important Figures in the Development of Aviation in Turkey between 1923-1947.
- Mark Pinson, Research on "Finding Aids" for Business in Turkey.
- Stanford J. Shaw, Research on Status and Experience of Turkish Jewry in 20th Century.
- James E. Sowerwine, Research on Turkish Foreign Policy Making Process.
- Beatrice St. Laurent, Study of Ottoman Turkish Official Architecture and Urban Projects of Abdulhamid II.
Post-Doctoral Conference Travel Grants
- Palmira Brummett
- Roderic Davison
- Pamela Dorn
- Caesar Farah
- Muge Gocek
- Daniel Goffman
- Barbara Jelavich
- Jaklin Kornfilt
- Dina Le Gall
- Michel Le Gall
- Rhoads Murphey
- Donald Quataert
- James Reilly
- Beatrice St. Laurent
- Karl Zimmer
Subventions for Publications
- Turkish Music Quarterly. Volume III. No. 4, Spring-Summer 1990.
- Mubeccel Kiray, ed., Structural Change in Turkish Society, Bloomington: Indiana University Turkish Studies, 1991.
- Aron Rodrigue, ed., Ottoman and Turkish Jewry: Community and Leadership. Bloomington: Indiana University Turkish Studies, 1992.
Matching Seed-Money Grants for New University Positions in Turkish Studies
- Cornell University (3rd year seed-money to establish a new position in Turkish language and history)
Grants for Conferences, Lecture Series and Workshops
- University of California, Berkeley ("Teachers' Workshop on Turkey"; lecture series)
- University of Chicago (lecture series on Turkish Art and Architecture)
- Columbia University (lecture series on Ottoman and Turkish literature)
- Library of Congress (conference on "The Book in the Islamic World")
- Michigan State University, Kresge Art Museum (workshop and lectures in connection with the conference on "The Art of Islamic Writing")
- University of Michigan (Turkish studies colloquium)
- Ohio State University (1990 summer language consortium)
- University of Pennsylvania (symposium on "Turkish Women's Studies: Work in Progress")
- Princeton University (lectures on "The Continuing Ottoman Legacy in the Modem Middle East")
- State University of New York at Binghamton (conference on "Manufacturing in the Ottoman Empire/Turkey: 1500-1980")
- University of Utah (seminars and lecture Series in Turkish studies)
- University of Washington (seminars on "East and West in Modem Near Eastern Literatures")
Teaching Aids Grants
- American Association of Teachers of Turkish (operational expenses; Turkish studies promotional poster)
Grants for Miscellaneous Projects
- "1990 TSA/ITS Prize" (for best book published in 1988-89: Ottoman Civil Officialdom: A Social History by Carter V. Findley)
- "1990 TSA/ITS Student Paper Prize" (for best Graduate Student Paper published in 1989)
Return to top