We are writing to ask that you consider, as we head into the end of year holidays, providing support to the Institute of Turkish Studies (ITS).
As an enthusiast of Turkey, you are well aware of the preeminent role the Institute has played in developing Turkish-Ottoman Studies in the United States. What you may be less aware of is that the ability of ITS to continue playing this role depends on securing new sources of funding.
Toward that end, the Institute's Board of Governors has initiated a fundraising strategy, an integral component of which is to secure the moral and financial support of past beneficiaries such as you.
Our Board of Governors is unified in the belief that our mission and the scholarship we support merit your individual contribution.
Since our founding in 1983, we have:
- Directly supported the establishment of 17 new teaching/research faculty lines at Universities across the United States. Most recently, we funded a new line in Ottoman History at SUNY Binghamton, and have also supported positions at Boston University, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, Ohio State, Washington University in St. Louis, and the universities of Arizona, Kansas, and Minnesota, among others.
- Provided over 600 individual grants for research and publishing essential for developing scholars and expanding awareness and understanding.
- Granted research funding that enabled over 115 Turkish studies doctoral candidates to complete their doctoral theses, over 60 of whom occupy senior scholar positions in the United States (plus another 15-plus at institutions in Canada, Europe, and Turkey. (Please see: ITS Hall of Fame)
- Added to the library collections of over 60 universities and colleges in the United States, including Princeton, Georgetown, and Brandeis to the universities of Arkansas, Cincinnati, North Carolina, and Utah.
Suggested annual donations amounts can be found below, and we are grateful to receive your contributions online (see below) or via personal Check (address below). Contributions to ITS, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, are income tax deductible under US law.
Suggested Donation Amounts:
- Current Students: $20
- Current Faculty & Non-Academic Professionals: $100
Please remit personal checks to the "Institute of Turkish Studies", 37th and O St, NW, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, 20057
Thank you for your interest and support!